MANCHESTER: 0161 7082620

BLACKBURN: 01254 277135


My Account My Account

Owning a Bike


Owning a motorcycle has a wide range of advantages and more and more people are choosing motorcycles over cars for both economic and environmental reasons.

Motorcycles have become a great favourite for commuting to and from work. They are much more economical than most cars, costing less to buy, tax, insure, service and – the real big advantage – fill with fuel!

They are also extremely useful for cutting through all the heavy commuter queues – so if you have heavy traffic on your way to work you will almost definitely get to work quicker on a motorcycle.
When you get to work – or anywhere in town – you will find your motorcycle easier and cheaper to park than a car.

If environmental issues are high on your list of priorities you can rest assured that your motorcycle is going to emit far less CO2 than most cars that you may choose to drive.


Before you are able to drive your motorcycle on the road you will need to ensure that it is fully insured.
Insuring your motorcycle can be extremely good value and you will find choosing a motorcycle over a car is a much more affordable option if you are under 25 or a newly qualified driver.

At Philip Youles we recommend you visit MCE to insure your motorcycle. MCE are independent insurance brokers specialising in scooter and motorcycle insurance.


First step is to apply for a provisional licence, this will allow you to ride on the road upon successful completion of a CBT. Some age restrictions do apply.

16 year old are only allowed to ride 50cc automatic or geared restricted to 32 mph, more commonly refered to as a moped, as a learner displaying “L” plates.

17 year olds and older are allowed to ride a 125cc automatic or geared motorcycle again restricted to 14bhp, as a learner displaying “L” plates.

The basic route to obtaining a full licence is the same the difference is what bike you take your test on and your age.
Assuming you already have completed your CBT, the next stage is to take your Theory test when passed, you can take the 1st part of your riding test. This test is off road and is similar to parts of your CBT, if this is passed you can then take the 2nd part which the on road test were the examiner rides behind you giving instructions on where to go.

The categories on your licence

AM – Moped, can ridden from the age of 16 if you have a provisional licence. When you pass your car test you are automatically given the entitlement but you must complete a CBT to validate your licence. If you obtained your car license before 1st February 2001 then you have moped entitlement by default.

A1 (17- ) – 125cc geared or automatic motorbikes can be ridden upon completion of CBT if provisional licence held. If a full car driving licence is held then the provisional entitlements should be present but you should check your licence, a CBT is required. This category can be ridden as a learner.

A2 (19-23) – Medium motorbikes up to 35 kW (and a power-to-weight ratio not more than 0.2 kW per kg), bike mustn’t be derived from vehicle more than twice its power. To obtain this licence you must do a CBT, Theory Test and the Two Part Pratical Motorcycle test.

A (over 24) - Motorbikes unlimited in size/power, with or without a sidecar, and motor tricycles with power output over 15 kW. Please note If you have held a A2 licence for 2 years you can take the A motorcycle test, so it would be possible to hold this category from the age of 21.


In Blackburn and for all motorcycle training Philip Youles recommends West Penine Motorcycle Training.In Manchester we recommend two training providers, Moto-Technique, 0161 833 4136,
MSM Motorcycle Training, 0161 223 9233